Name Change Florida – Divorce

Name Change Florida: Divorce name change Florida - image of four colored name tags

Changing your name is a very personal decision and one that should involve serious thought and consideration.   If you are going through the divorce process and are contemplating restoring your prior or maiden name, here are some things to keep in mind for a name change Florida.

Name Change Florida: What to Consider

If women want to restore their maiden name, the divorce proceedings are the perfect and most efficient time to do it.  But if clients aren’t ready to make that decision, they shouldn’t.

There are many reasons to not have it changed.  Many women don’t change their name during a divorce because they want to keep it consistent with their children’s. Others who may have built a business based on their married name or are known professionally by that name find themselves in a different quandary.

Some clients are just overwhelmed with the whole process and feel that dealing with the divorce alone is enough of a headache.

Clients should keep in mind that this is a personal decision and your spouse has no say so in the decision.  In other words, your spouse can’t force or require you to make the change.

Name Change Florida: How Much Will it Cost?

The good news is that getting your prior name restored within the divorce process is “FREE.”

By free we mean there are no other court costs or fees associated with adding a name change to your divorce documents.  Some attorneys will charge for the addition but at there is no additional charge.

If you aren’t sure or aren’t ready to make that decision, you should keep in mind that once the divorce is final, it will cost you a $400 filing fee to begin the process fresh or at least $50 if you try to reopen your divorce case to add it.

The $400.00 filing fee is just what you pay to the clerk to open a new case.  If you have an attorney represent you in the process you can add their fee to the total cost.

Name Change Florida: What is Involved?

Changing your name within a divorce is very easy and just involves adding language to your documents stating you wish to have it restored.  The most important document that needs to specify your name change will be your final judgment.  This will be the document all the agencies will look to when they are verifying the change.

What Happens After Your Name Gets Changed?

If you change your name in Florida due to divorce you will need to update your name with the Social Security Administration (SSA) and the Florida Department of Highway Safety and Motor Vehicles (DHSMV) and the Division of Driver Licenses.

You will need to change your name on your:

  • Social Security card.
    Florida driver’s license or ID card.
    Vehicle registration and title.

Here is the link for the Social Security web site that will give you the details on how to get your name changed on your Social Security Card:…

Here is the link to get your name changed at the DMV:

Florida Voter Registration Name Change

You can change your name on your voter registration when you change your name on your FL driver’s license in person (see the “FL Driver’s License or ID Address Change” section above).

The FL driver license office will give you an application to complete and forward it to your local county elections office. You will be mailed an updated voter registration card showing your new name.

You can also change your name with your local county Supervisor of Elections directly. You can do this by mail, in person, or by phone by calling your local Supervisor of Elections office.

To change your address by mail or in person, complete a Florida Voter Registration Application and send or take it to your local county Supervisor of Elections office.

Who else do we inform?

  • Obtain a new driver’s license or state identification card.
    Change your name on all bank accounts, safe deposit boxes, etc.
    Change your name on all credit cards, store charge cards, etc.
    Notify Social Security (formal application required).
    Notify all of your creditors.
    Notify the telephone company and other utilities.
    Change your passport (if you have one).
    Notify the post office and mail carrier.
    Change car titles and registration.
    Notify insurance companies.
    Consider an announcement by mail to friends and relatives.
    Notify your employer and any retirement/pension accounts.
    Inform co-workers and those you have a working relationship.
    Change e-mail addresses (only if they reflect your old name)
    Notify any place you have a membership (library, gym etc.)

In order to get the name change you will need to show an original or “certified” copy of your divorce decree to the agency.  A certified copy is one where the clerk has affixed their official seal on the decree verifying it is authentic.

To obtain a “certified” copy of your divorce decree you can simply order a copy from the clerk of courts where the divorce was filed.

The fee is nominal and should cost around $2 to $3.